Angels are created from Light (Noor). They are neither Male nor Female. They are assigned different duties and their exact number is only known to Allah (S.W.T).
There are Four Famous Angels who are superior to all others. They are :
(1) Hazrat Jibra’il (A.S),
(2) Hazrat Meka’il (A.S),
(3) Hazrat Isra’feel (A.S), and
(4) Hazrat Izra’eel (A.S).
• Hazrat Jibra’il (A.S) is the leader of all Angels. Their main role is to bring message of Allah (S.W.T) to His Prophets.
• Hazrat Meka’il (A.S) has the duty of distributing food to all Allah’s (S.W.T) creation.
• Hazrat Isra’feel (A.S) will blow the trumpet on the day of Qiyamat.
• Hazrat Izra’eel (A.S) (also known as Malakul Mawt) has the role of taking out the souls of all living things.
It is a Hadith of the Prophet (S.A.W) that:
Anyone who reads Aytul Kursi once, Allah (S.W.T) appoints an Angel for that person who writes good deeds and removes bad deeds for a period of 24 Hours.